#beatcancer Ride to St. Pete – Day 25
Day 25 on the ride and as usual the Florida weather holds true to their image! Another warm sunny day…slightly cooler than yesterday.
We headed out this morning from the west side of Gainesville but before we left the hotel we had a chance to meet Bobbi Rawlins. She works at the hotel and was telling us that she had lost both her brother and sister-in-law to cancer. Her brother, Larry Cruce died from liver cancer at the age of 63 and her sister-in-law, Peggy Cruce died from colon cancer at the age of 42. Today we dedicate the ride to Bobbi as she has become a true advocate from experience to early screenings and detection. We pray for you and your family, Bobbi.
As we headed further into the town of Gainesville, we found ourselves nearing “The Swamp.” Had to stop and take a picture of course and also enjoy the beautiful surrounds of the University of Florida campus. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (popularly known as “The Swamp”) is the home field of the university’s Florida Gators football team. The stadium was originally built in 1930 andhas been regularly expanded, renovated and improved since then. Although it is the 11th largest college football stadium as measured by its official seating capacity of 88,548, attendance for the Gators’ home football games regularly exceeds 90,000 persons. Go Gators!
Just a few items to follow up on if you haven’t been keeping up on Twitter:
- DHL as agreed to pay Racing for Cancer $1 for every follower that we pick up between now and the Grand Prix in St. Petersburg, March 27th. Please make sure to tell all your friends and family to follow us, the money will go to a great cause and you can keep up with all the exciting things that we have planned for the year.
- @insidetherace has agreed to give 100% proceeds to Racing for Cancer on the purchase of their new iphone APP until 3/27. Check this out, it’s a great APP, you won’t want to be without it during race season!
- www.autoracing1.com has also agreed to give 50% of their subscriptions fees to Racing for Cancer up to 3/27. Lots of great information, make sure to check it out on the web and sign up today!
- @TheRaceParty has named Racing for Cancer the recipient to receive proceeds from the Saturday, May 28 before the race party! Please make sure to watch on Twitter for more details coming!
- And…don’t forget the #beatcancer Bash in conjunction with the @MayIndyTweetup scheduled for 5/26! We’re planning a great party, you won’t want to miss it…make your plans now to attend, more details to follow.
Stopped in St. Augustine for the evening to enjoy some dinner with family…heading southeast tomorrow to pick up a few extra miles!